Saturday, January 27, 2007

Heating Up the Night

A week to the day after catching the extremely evil g.i. bug that is going around, I rolled up my sleeves and started cooking again. I was just NOT interested in anything having to do with food before today.

My friend Karen is going to give me a lesson on making homemade pasta tomorrow, and we'll be making butternut squash ravioli.
In preparation I roasted a large squash this afternoon, and tonight for dinner tried a new twist on enchiladas, Butternut Squash Enchiladas with Corn.

2 1/2 lb butternut squash, roasted and mashed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c frozen corn
1 T chili powder
1/2 cinnamon
1/2 t cumin

12 6-inch-diameter corn tortillas

8 oz. Pepper Jack cheese
8 oz. cheddar cheese

Prepared salsa or enchilada sauce

Heat 2T oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Mix in squash and corn. Season with salt and pepper.

Wrap tortillas in damp paper towel and microwave briefly to soften.

Place 1 heaping spoonful of squash mixture down center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon of each cheese. Roll up tortillas. Arrange seam side down in a lightly oiled 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spoon enchilada sauce and remaining cheese over enchiladas. Bake until enchiladas are heated through and cheese is hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes.


Wow, I was amazed. They were delicious, and I think will lend themselves to all sorts of tweaking in the future. I also think you could very easily use canned squash or pumpkin and turn these into a quick weeknight meal. I didn't think to get a photo but I'll be sure to capture the pasta making tomorrow!


No comments: