Tuesday, December 05, 2006

105 days 'till Spring

We may have had our first snow of the season yesterday, but with seed and plant catalogues arriving daily, I'm already counting the days until spring. The Sturdy Farmer Girls met tonight and placed our group FEDCO order, due by Friday, December 8 to qualify for the discount. Orders will be ready for pickup on Friday, April 27.

I haven't yet managed to winnow my apple tree list down from 12 +/- varieties, so I passed on ordering any fruit trees, contenting myself with blueberries, some conifers for screening, and ornamental shrubs. The order:
2 Bluecrop Blueberries
2 Elliott Blueberries
2 Earliblue Blueberries
1 Jersey Blueberry
1 Lonicera x brownii (native hybrid) Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle
1 Buddleia x weyeriana Honeycomb Butterfly Bush
1 Morden Sunrise rose
3 Japanese Painted Fern
3 Cascade Hops
5 Thija occidentalis
American Arborvitae
5 Tsuga canadensis Hemlock

Still on my FEDCO list (I have until March for undiscounted orders): Apple, peach, and apricot trees.

Other shrubs on the list: a Spice bush (Lindera benzoin) a Carolina Allspice (calycanthus floridus), a dwarf fothergilla (fothergilla gardenii), and a BlueMist Spirea, (Caryopteris x clandonensis). I'm sure I'll think of more....

Be sure to check out the Days 'till spring counter just below my profile!

No comments: