Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Ooops!

Dan's mom called the other night, asking about the recipe for Italian Cookies I posted recently. She was looking at her version of the recipe and noticed I had left off the baking soda, yikes! That explains why my cookies tasted rather flat and leaden this year...

I knew something was wrong, but thought it might be the new trans-fat free Crisco. No, it was the lack of leavening. Thanks for catching the error, Mom!

The corrected recipe:

ITALIAN COOKIES

8 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
4 t baking powder
9 eggs
1 lb of Crisco

Cream the Crisco and sugar. Add eggs, beating after each egg. Stir in the flour, mixing well. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. Roll out about 1/2” thick. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, Cool, and frost with Citrus Icing or Royal Icing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To get into the Christmas spirit I had to make Mrs. B's cookies on Saturday. When I went to the store for the ingredients I needed, they didn't have regular Crisco in the 1lb. can so I HAD to buy the butter flavored. It made the cookies only a tad more yellow, but looked nice. I liked them better.