Friday, December 08, 2006

Cookie Madness begins

I've invited my student workers over for a holiday cookie decorating party Sunday afternoon. Tonight I made up a batch of Dan's favorite cookie, Italian cookies, so-called because as a kid, his family was good friends with an Italian family, the Barbarossas. This is Mrs. Barbarossa’s recipe for Christmas Cookies. It makes a HUGE batch….

ITALIAN COOKIES

8 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
4 t baking powder
9 eggs
1 lb of Crisco

Cream the Crisco and sugar. Add eggs, beating after each egg. Stir in the flour and baking soda, mixing well. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. Roll out about 1/2” thick. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, Cool, and frost with Citrus Icing or Royal Icing.

CITRUS ICING

This recipe makes about three cups of icing.

6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup milk
6 to 8 cups powdered sugar

Assorted food colorings (the gel colorings work best)

Combine lemon juice and milk in large bowl. Whisk in 5 cups powdered sugar. Gradually whisk in enough remaining sugar by 1/2 cupfuls to form icing stiff enough to pipe (mixture will resemble stirred sour cream).

Divide remaining icing into zip-loc sandwich bags, one bag for each desired color; mix food coloring by drops into each bag, tinting icing to desired shade. Carefully knead bag to mix. To decorate, cut a tiny bit off the corner of the bag, and squeeze frosting through.

As I'm making the cookies tomorrow, I made the Italian Cookie dough tonight, as it needs to chill thoroughly for best cookie cutting. This year, made with our own Henbogle eggs, the dough is much more yellow than it has been in the past... I wonder what the cookies will look like when baked?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, I remember eating these cookies with you and the rest of the family & we couldn't get enough of them!
Now I enjoy them as a tea cookie, or with coffee. They're great for breakfast or as dessert or a snack. If you're trying to reduce your sugar intake, they're even great without icing. "THEY ARE PERFECT!" My first collected recipe was this one from Mrs. "B". By the by, I spent a lot of time with her while she cooked, she also made dynomite handmade potatoe pasta noodles! I once ate pheasant that she roasted.

Anonymous said...

Oh & I almost forgot, I love them as a tin cookie to give away.