Monday, September 03, 2007

An abundance of squash and carrots and....


I really only intended to take the compost out, but then I thought I'd check for more ripe cherry tomatoes, and the next thing I new, I was loaded down with an abundance of produce. This photo doesn't even include the enormous zucchini I gave the chickens.

I pulled the Mokum carrots and a few of the Rainbow Mix. The Mokums are delicious, and the red carrots in the mix are good too, but the white carrots were a huge pain. The roots were not carrot-like at all, but a wild mass of fingers and the tops frequently broke off. Cross this mix off the list for next year!

I'm going to try a new squash soup recipe later:

Yellow Squash Soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 T olive oil
2 large yellow bell pepper
1 1/2 lbs yellow summer squash
3 cloves garlic
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 c half and half or light cream

Sautee the peppers in oil until soft, add squash and garlic, cook covered until squash is softened. Add stock and simmer 5-10 minutes. Purée until smooth, return to pan and reheat until just heated through, adding cream to thin to desired consistency, and season with salt and pepper.

Makes about 5+ cups.

It sounds very mild, but will lend itself to my usual tinkering.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oooh... that soup recipe sounds great. I've even got a lone jalapeño from the old garden that I could toss in for added zip. I know what's for dinner tomorrow!