Sunday, December 30, 2007

Popping out of the oven

Amazingly, given the generosity of the Henbogle girls, I had never made popovers until tonight. They were scrumptious!

I served them with a lovely pan seared steak, cooked with some of our shallots, and roasted pole beans from our garden. It was a yummy dinner.

Popovers
Makes 6

1 cup sifted bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 xl eggs
1 cup milk
unsalted butter for brushing the custard cups

Preheat oven to 450°F Warm the eggs and milk to room temperature

Stir flour and salt together a medium bowl. Stir together the eggs and the milk, and add to the flour mixture. Stir the batter until it is smooth. In oven, heat six custard cups until hot (5+ minutes). Remove from oven, brush with the butter, and fill them half full with the batter. Bake the popovers in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375°F, and bake the popovers for 20+/- minutes more, or until they are browned and crisp. I had about a tablespoon of leftover asiago cheese all grated, which I stirred in to the flour mixture -- I could taste a hint of it, I'd try that again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I had breakfast with Carla today and she mentioned your blog to me! I'm up to May 2007. Your house looks great!! I am going to need to pick your brain about gardens at some point. Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Tori

Ali said...

Hi Tori!

Great to hear from you, I hope you and D are doing well! Hmmm, needing to pick my brain on gardens, does this mean you've bit the homeowner bullet?

Anyway, I'd love to help and of course I have plants to divide, so can help you get started.

A