Monday, January 14, 2008

The wallop zone

Well, thus far we've received about 14" of snow. We are definitely in the wallop zone, as Dan so aptly described it. We're in the white band, just a bit NE of Portland.

Dan did not have school today, but I elected to drive in to work as I stayed home on Friday during our freezing rain/sleet/rain/yuk storm. After a short day in the office, I hit the road for home at about 3 pm, and it was a white knuckle drive for at least half the drive, but conditions improved as I got closer to home (and don't they always!)

Dan was out cleaning up when I arrived home, he looked like a Yeti, but at least the worst of it is done. I left him to it and made a nice bubbling hot dinner. The snow was white and fluffy, and covered up all the sand and muck, so I'm trying to make the best of it. If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that as of our last storm, we had received 36 inches of snow. Add today's 14"+ and thus far this winter, we've received over 50 inches. To date. And did I mention February and March are our big snow months?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is an insane amount of snow!

We had about 28" by Christmas, which is close to record for us, but the week over 50 degrees took that away.

Still, this is the wettest winter in the 10 I have been in Wisconsin, and the storms are coming form the south, rather than the north which is also a-typical. "increased variability and severity" indeed!!