Despite all the eggcitement here yesterday, we did manage to get some work done. We completed the fence around the garden and installed the gate.
We continued the recycled theme with the gate, using the back from an old porch rocker which, of course, we rescued from the trash heap. We had the rocker sitting on the deck as a planter for a couple of years, then this year decided to deconstruct it for parts -- the posts were nicely turned hardwood, and the arms will make good signs ("Henbogle", for example).
Then, as we discussed the idea of fencing in the garden to protect it from the evil groundhog, I realized the back would make an excellent gate. Dan cleverly made hinges from ell-screws and eye-screws, so the gate easily lifts off if needed. We added some small-mesh chicken wire at the bottom to keep out the rodent, and voila, a gate was made.
Even if I do say so myself, it is very cute. Now, on to the chicken fencing (and painting the barn, staining the new deck, etc.). You know what they say, no rest for the wicked!