Monday, April 03, 2006

Magic beans

Both my Fedco and Pine Tree Garden Seed orders have arrived as of today. I can almost taste my old favorites Gardener's Delight, Sungold, and Rose de Berne tomatoes.... I know only 3 varieties, but I promised Dan I'd cut back. Sigh.

I am trying a few new things. A pal from work gave me some pole bean seeds, an un-named variety that he has saved and swears by. In addition to Carola, we are trying Rose Gold potatoes this year instead of Red Norlands. A new zucchini will debut, Costata Romanesca, and a new pumpkin, Winter Luxury. I'll tempt fate with yet another attempt at melons with Prescott Ford Blanc, and sorrel and chervil will grace the herb bed.

Tonight I'll be making up some newspaper pots and I hope the seed cart will get set up this weekend. Theoretically, this weekend will mark 8 weeks 'till the last frost. Either way, our heavy clay soil is slow to warm so I'm not rushing the poor seedlings into the cold ground this year. Really.

It seems we raked the garden beds and some of the lawn, and I planted in the hoop house just in time. A cold rainy week looms ahead according to the National Weather Service, with a chance of snow Tuesday evening through Thursday... ah well we need the rain, and better during the week than on the weekend.

No comments: